Thursday, August 24, 2006

Alaap

To start from where he left... We could well see him scribble into his laptop, but then that’s his favorite past-time, busy writing on anything and everything…I will come back to it sometime later though. The point here is, I didn’t know he was writing a post, and it wasn’t disclosed until he bloody shut his lappy. Good that he didn’t let me see what he did write, inspite of my pleas, for I was then sure to get down to get back at him (I’m trying to do away with this habit of settling scores with people), and would have spent an hour or so preparing a befitting reply to his statement. I deem it better than otherwise, because of what employed my time instead!!
After they, Ashwin and Ankush, locked their door from inside (that I may not return to squander what was left of the night), I too returned to my favorite occupation at this hour, the Idiot Box! I detest it, demonize it, and yet devour it with delight. I hate it because it is gnawing my life-time when I feel I can make a better use of it, mocking at my attempts to abide by some schedule or time-table, and, most of all because it’s a proof that I do not command a complete control over my bearings. But I love it for what it has to offer me. I watch only movies on TV, all types and any kind. My qualifiers for a good movie aren’t the Humour, or the Action, or dance-song, or even the actors or story, though they all indirectly contribute to what I am in turn looking for in a movie – an evasion – an alternative to the world. (But hey, don’t classify me as a loser, a cynic. Mind you, I do not seek an escape, but an escapade!) An alternate world does not mean a “Matrix” or “The Truman Show”. Also, the events or the repercussions might be completely illogical (as is the case so very often!) for I am not interested in the story (where is a story anyways?!). I am interested in characters - their emotions and passions. Larger-than-life or just a next-door-guy; the most sophisticated-kind or a naïve, simpleton; an introvert or the bubbly-types; a winner or the underdog…anything will do…just build a character that can intrigue me, appease my emotions, and, you have me hooked. I will then gladly (in fact, sub-consciously), live his dreams and die his deaths with him!
So at around 1.30 in the morning when they slammed the bloody door on me, I sat on the sofa watching Amitji-starrer – Alaap. Well, I’m not discussing d story here, but a few insights… The very first thing that gets u….err..

Hey did I tell ya, I’m a very, very impatient guy. I started with fervour. That movie, Alaap, really touched me and I wanted to discuss it with u…but beating around the bush, my patience has already run out. If I wait to finish it before posting, I’ll never get to post it!! So I’ve decided to post it nevertheless. Maybe I will discuss d movie some other time, n then I’ll get straight to the point without further circumlocution… as for now u atleast got an insight on me!! But I’ll still like to end with a dialogue from d movie (may not be exact) – “Main toh Alaap hun. Gaana toh alaap ke baad shuru hota hai… Mera beta mera geet banega!”

2 comments:

sourabh said...

i feel u go on these escpades too often my friend.. better beware the escaped might actually turn into an escape one day

Varun said...

Well Sourabh, I confess you have quite captured my veiled escapist-tendencies. I, too, keep reminding myself against them. Though I do faintly believe that my eternal bliss lies in my escape, but it would be an easy way out, and the very mode of escape I chose, preach me against it. For the protagonist of any movie would choose fight to flight; well atleast the stronger characters, & I would ofcourse prefer to be counted among them!!